Dietary supplements have one of the most important shares of the pharmaceutical market. According to different studies, the increase in consumption of dietary supplements around the world is due to a notable rise in health awareness, changes in lifestyle, and also an increasing number of fitness oriented influencers, centers, and health clubs.
As the consumption of dietary supplements increases, the variety of choices rise as well. In this competitive market, supplement formulation and manufacturing are key in order to guarantee a high quality product. . In this regard, there is a wide range of variety, such as capsules, powders, or tablets. What type should you choose?
To make the best decision, first you have to consider the ingredients of your product, size requirements, type, and target customer preference.
Keep learning about capsule technology trends...
- Gelatin capsules vs. HPMC capsules: What are the differences?
- Why Liquid-Filled Hard Capsules May Be a Better Option than Softgels
- Flavored capsules: the next customization level
Capsules: The Preferred Delivery Method for Dietary Supplements
Capsules are not only the preferred method of delivery but also the oldest one. Among its popular features, capsules can be personalized to come in different forms and disintegration time since they are made from gelatin of animal origin or HPMC plant-based cellulose. These materials allow the stable encapsulation of the formula, acting as a good oxygen barrier.
Capsules are not only the most common method, they are also the most efficient and stomach friendly because they boast of ease of ingestion, ease of digestion, and enhanced absorption. This delivery method can be used in a wide variety of products and formulas, including liquid formulations, and products with acid-resistant needs.
Encapsulation can be the best option to deliver biological functionality to a target site for action (e.g. absorption of a nutrient).
Capsules also offer a good protection for sensitive ingredients, which can reduce gastrointestinal irritation, and helps the palatability of your product, because it’s odorless, tasteless, and easy to swallow.
Finally, capsules allow a rapid release, require fewer processing aids and few excipients in the manufacturing process.
To Keep in Mind:
- Capsules can interact with the ingredients of your product.
- Always make sure that your capsule supplier guarantees high quality raw materials.
- Always avoid gelatin capsules made from genetically modified livestock.
Powders: The Solution for People with Trouble Swallowing Pills
Powders are ideal for macronutrients or supplements requiring a large serving size. They have specific manufacturing processes as well as advantages and disadvantages in form and function. Its more valuable feature is that this method ensures that ingredients are rapidly released and absorbed by the body.
Also, there is a large number of people that cannot swallow pills correctly, due to dysphagia and other factors. Finally, powders have a long shelf life and are easily digestible, because they can be easily blended into juices and other types of liquids.
To Keep in Mind:
- Powders must be dissolved into liquids. This could be a limitation for the consumers.
- make sure you have a good understanding of the target audience for your product. Thus, you will be able to identify their dietary needs, so you can make decisions regarding flavorings and added sugars.
- The production of powders takes more time to market, and it’s more expensive in terms of fabrication.
Tablets: Another Common Method
Coated, uncoated or chewable, there are a wide variety of forms for tablets. They can be customized into different sizes, shapes, and colors. Also, their disintegration time is about 30 minutes.
By using tablets, you can add a greater amount of ingredients per piece. you can also customize the time-release and the sustained-release profiles. These three features can be very useful for your formula’s needs.
To Keep in Mind:
- Since tablets require different processing steps, choosing this method of delivery for your product could take more time.
- Tablets may cause gastrointestinal irritation. Some people are more likely to develop stomach irritation after taking tablets.
Let Us Guide You Through the Best Option for Your Product
CapsCanada is one of the world’s leading providers of high quality, empty, hard capsules serving global pharmaceutical and dietary supplement markets, building on our 30-year legacy of support for the industry. We are expertly positioned to support their goals to put complex formulations into oral dosage forms and to optimize their brand in increasingly consumer-aware markets.