Capsule customization goes beyond sizes, printing, or color options. The next step? flavor. As PRnewswire reports, the adoption of pharmaceutical excipients for flavor masking techniques is intended to drive market growth in the coming years. This is a response to a common need amongst the geriatric and pediatric patient population: oral administration of drugs that can be unpleasant because of their taste, this is an issue for doctors, who need to ensure that patients consume medicines in the right dosage and at the right time.
There are other factors that play an important role in the growth and development of flavored capsules in the market: first, the oral route is the most convenient way for drug administration, the geriatric population is increasing and, the incidence of chronic diseases such as diabetes and cancer is also increasing. All this “will drive the growth of the pharmaceutical excipients for the taste masking market, globally, at a CAGR of over 5% through 2030”, as said in the PRnewswire report.
According to the same report:
- Artificial masking excipients are the most profitable segment: they hold a market value share of around 34%.
- Europe is the most lucrative market within the global market for pharmaceutical flavor-masking excipients, holding around 1/3 of the market share.
With these insights, it's clear that flavored capsules are and will be a key differentiator in the years to come. As one study suggests, “any pharmaceutical formulation with a pleasing taste would definitely be preferred over a competitor's product, and would translate into better compliance and therapeutic value for the patient, as well as more business and profits for the company.”
Flavored capsules and pediatric care: a big opportunity
A study titled “Optimizing oral medication for children”, reveals that there is a misperception that infants are programmable when it comes to smells, tastes, and flavors. The reality is that children have specific likes and dislikes when it comes to flavors, and this is very important when administering oral medication at those ages:
- Human newborns can detect and reject bitter compounds.
- There are important differences regarding taste preferences between children and adults. Kids have a strong preference for foods and beverages that taste sweet.
- According to several studies, the preference for sweets remains heightened throughout childhood and decreases to adult levels during late adolescence.
Is there a magic formula for the right flavor of children capsules? Sweet is the keyword, but there are preferences in the wide spectrum of flavors. As stated in the study “Improving the palatability of medications to help children be more compliant”, there is a clear preference among children for sweet flavors with natural sugars:
- Grape: 28%
- Bubblegum: 26%
- Strawberry: 12%
- Watermelon: 9%
- Cherry: 7%
- Apple: 4%
- Others (Raspberry, banana and passion fruit): 13%
At Capscanada you can find these flavors and more:
Variety is important in the marketplace: there are individual experiences and cultural factors that can determine which flavor is attractive to a patient.
All this information leads us to a conclusion: in the pediatric medicine market, flavored capsules can make a big difference and be a big opportunity for brand recognition.
Keep learning about capsule technology trends...
- Gelatin capsules vs. HPMC capsules: What are the differences?
- Why Liquid-Filled Hard Capsules May Be a Better Option than Softgels
- Flavored capsules: the next customization level
Why flavored capsules can make a difference
- Any long-term treatment can be more manageable with flavored capsules. This ensures the medication is easier to take, especially in children.
- When you can mask undesirable flavors in formulations, you promote patient compliance and consumer preference for your capsules.
- Optimizing your product’s appeal in pediatric applications is a competitive edge in the marketplace.
- The use of flavored capsules has a great appeal in the vet pharma industry, as many pet owners struggle with giving traditional capsules to pets, thus stressing the animal and even hurting it in the process. At Capscanada we offer PET-CAPS®, designed specifically for this need.
- This kind of customization can be combined with other capsule’s features, such as color. This makes it easier to produce capsules that can be quickly recognized, and the patient can associate their color with their flavor. Of course, it's really important to use natural colorants.
Flavored capsules are an important (if not a crucial) factor in brand recognition, and an advantage in important markets such as pediatric care, long term treatments, and even the vet market. Take your customization strategy to the next level and keep up with trends and new developments.
If you are looking for flavored capsules that offer a great range of customization, visit our product page for Flavor Caps and Pet Caps.