A capsule filling machine is a type of machine used to fill empty capsules with pharmaceutical or nutraceutical ingredients, whether it is powder, granules, tablets, or liquids. Industrial capsule fillers are used in large-scale manufacturing with high efficiency.
The right capsule filling technology turns an inherently complicated process into a fast and accurate system, with minimal product waste and precision dosing capabilities.
The filling can be done to produce different types of capsules, and the process is known as encapsulation. Capsule fillers are available in different varieties. Therefore, these capsule filling machines can be classified into three types.
- 1. Manual filling machine
- 2. Semi-automatic capsule filling machine
3. Automatic capsule machine
It is possible to divide the capsule filling process into isolated machine functions to ensure that the overall operation works effectively.
A manual capsule filler is used in industries where the amount that needs to be filled is equal to the exact amount of ingredients. This kind of filling machine is reliable to produce capsules according to the user's needs.
Furthermore, it can produce around 800 capsules in a single press and features a powder tray and loading trays that have a volume of 300 holes.
As its name suggests, it is a hybrid filling machine that mixes the manual process with the automatic. This way, there is less dependency on the operator, and it is designed in such a way that the equipment must comply with the hygiene requirements used in the industry.
Its design and construction make it durable and low-maintenance. With proven, non-corrosive elements, eliminates contamination and facilitates cleanup after use to make capsules acceptable for filling both powders and granular substances.
With automatic capsule filling, it is sought to directly fill capsules without dependence on the operator. Automatic filters are used in the large-scale production of capsules.
This type of machine can integrate any kind of fine particle powder or granules into the capsule. An automatic filler also functions as an integrated system by connecting additional equipment such as in-line capsule polishers, dust extractors, a damaged capsule classifier, and an empty capsule ejector.
How do they work?
It is through a 5-step process that modern capsule filling machines work:
- A. Feeding: The capsules are loaded into the machine and through a series of channels the direction and orientation of each capsule is aligned so that the body is at the bottom and the lid is at the top. Once they reach the spring-load end of each channel, they quickly begin filling the empty capsules.
- B. Separation: The vacuum system releases the body to open the capsule. Improperly separated capsules are noted by the machine, so they can be removed and discarded.
- C. Filling: This stage varies depending on the type of solid or liquid the capsule contains. At one station with the tamping needle mechanism, the powder is added to the capsule body, and then it is compressed several times to coagulate the powder into a uniform shape. Other options are: filling with intermittent dispensers and vacuuming, among others.
- D. Completion: Next, the trays holding the lids and bodies are aligned, and then the pins push the bodies up and force them into a locked position against the lids and close them.
- E. Discharge: Once closed, the capsule rises in its cavities and is expelled from the machine through the discharge hopper. Finally, they are cleaned to remove impurities or excess material from their exterior, and this is how the capsules can be collected and packaged for distribution.
A capsule filling machine is a must for high-speed capsule production in the nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries. In, knowing which machines are best suited to your business needs will allow you to try the most accurate and reliable one for the production of your product.
Capscanda a technical ally
Our technical service experts have over 20 years of experience setting up and operating capsule filling machines.
In order to be successful, this team travels continuously to our customers' factories to assist them with the filling processes. Providing this level of dedication and support is part of our commitment to quality and value.
Considering our support is integral throughout the process of filling, we will first assist you in choosing the best capsules for the filling material you wish to use. For example, if you’re running a hygroscopic or moisture-sensitive formulation, the K-CAPS vegetarian capsules are your best option, as they have a very low moisture content. Gelatin capsules, on the other hand, are a flexible option for a wide range of non-hygroscopic formulations.
Our experts help you ensure that the capsules selected provide exceptional results and that they room smoothly in your capsule filling machines. Remember that tuning and setting up your capsule filling machine will increase its productivity, allowing it to run faster, cleaner, and more efficiently. Therefore, quality and performance will be improved.
CapsCanada's Technical Service Department can help you design or improve your capsule manufacturing department, from recommending the right equipment to determining how to lay things out. Although we are intimately familiar with all equipment options, we have no affiliation with any of the manufacturers. In this way, you get unbiased advice regarding the best solution for your budget, space, and capacity requirements.